Let's Talk Potatoes

Monday, November 17, 2008

Mmmmm spuds.

My dad grew up in a tiny town in eastern Idaho. I lived there for the first ten years of my life too. The tiny town is known for its potatoes. They are not just any potatoes they are the BEST potatoes in the world. They grow in rich black volcanic soil. They are one of the things I missed most living in Alaska. Potatoes from anywhere else are just not the same. Every year dad travels back to purchase a winters supply. Usually he gets them from here. I think he got over a thousand pounds this year for friends and family. He brought me 100 lbs to Boise, even knowing that we would be moving soon. We actually went trough quite a few, and passed along the rest. The other thing is that they are CHEAP. The price went up this year to $8.50 per 50 lb bag. even with the raise in prices it is much cheaper than the grocery store.

The thing is in the past I have had lots left over in the spring when they start to sprout. This year I want to make a concerted effort to use them up. I will be doing a potato dish at least once a week, actually my goal is one new dish a week and one standby, but I don't know that I will always make a new one. Keep me on my toes and I will!


The #1 question I get asked if I mention having that many potatoes around is how do you store them? There are a few keys to keeping them fresh.

1. Cool location
2. Dark location
3. Air circulation

Typically I store mine in the garage. It is not as dark as a closet, but it takes care of the cool part best. The paper bag helps keep the light out and also better circulation than a plastic bag. These potatoes are unwashed, this also helps them to last longer.

This week my challenge is Potato Salad. I've made it before, but never seen to get it quite right.

No comments: